Sunday 5 February 2012

The Big Decision

Well I've survived 3 days of the new job so far. Hasn't been too hard, work wise. They're letting me settle in gradually, although I have a feeling things will be ramping up this week. The people are really friendly and I like the vibe there so am feeling good about it.

Meeting a whole bunch of new people can be a bit unnerving at first. However, there has been one particularly big decision which is always on my mind in these kinds of situations. It's the decision somebody like me has to think about when I'm meeting new people. The big reveal, if you like.

When and how do I reveal to my new workmates that I am a dag?

I know, you're probably thinking it really shouldn't be such a big deal. After all, isn't the whole point of being a dag that you don't care what other people think about your dagginess?

That's certainly true, however in this cold, hard world in which we live, sometimes even hard-core dags like myself have to make a few concessions. Much as it can pain me to say it, impressions in the workplace are important. You don't want to get on the wrong side of the wrong people too quickly. And also, even if I hate to admit it, work does have its serious side. There is stuff you have to do, and there isn't always time to waste.

The good news is, I'm getting the feeling that in general, dagginess will be well tolerated. I even think I've discovered a number of fellow travellers. So here's hoping for a new career in which I can be successful, professional and effective, and yet still retain my true daggy soul.

And a great week to everybody else.

4 comments:

  1. Sigh... if you were a woman you could 'accidentally' let a piece of your dag lit fall out of your handbag...

    As it is, I envisage a multitude of situations where you try and fail to 'accidentally' let your dag lit be seen. I feel you'll have to just 'fess up. Or leave your blog open on your computer as you - ahem - 'forget' and go make a cup of tea!

    But I'm sure once they read it all will be forgiven!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It usually slips out when I open my mouth, whether I like it or not.

      Delete
  2. I’m like you, Jonathan. Every new job I’ve been resolute: I will keep my private life private but my mouth never lets me and I usually regret it especially when they learn I’m a writer and say, “Oh, you must let me read some of your stuff,” and then I turn up with an A4 binder full of material which they graciously accept and the subject never raises its ugly head again. People come into work and tell you their good news—they passed this or that exam or they’ve just bought a new car or just got engaged—but they never know quite what to say when you walk in and say, “I’ve just written a novel.” (“Oh, very nice. You must let us read it.” Yeah right.) That’s why I included a line in my first novel when I was revising it about a Scottish writer having finished his first novel and having no one to tell because when I finished numbers three and four that’s exactly what happened. As for your dagginess, if I understand it correctly it’s something you are and not something you do and so it’ll ne neigh impossible to hide and why would you want to?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jim,

    Actually I've found that mentioning I'm a self-published writer has been quite useful, especially working in universities. I've discovered a bunch of colleagues interested in self-publishing and have even picked up a few extra dollars doing formatting for them,

    ReplyDelete